Dmitry Medvedev established the Order of St Catherine the Great Martyr and the distinction For a Good Deed in order to further improve the state award system of the Russian Federation.
The Order of St Catherine the Great Martyr will be awarded to Russian and foreign citizens well-known for their high moral values and compassion for their outstanding contribution to peacekeeping, charity, humanitarian activities and the preservation of cultural heritage.
The distinction For a Good Deed will be awarded to Russian and foreign nationals for:
- major charity efforts to support children’s homes, nursing homes, orphanages, hospices and medical facilities in Russia;
- active public work aimed at improving the level of morality and tolerance in society, promoting human values and human rights, and combating the spread of dangerous diseases and habits;
- the contribution to the development of Russian science, culture, education and healthcare;
- assistance to NGOs and religious organisations in implementing socially significant measures;
- activities aimed at strengthening the institution of marriage and family.